Longtime MSNBC anchor Craig Melvin gave a tearful farewell announcement Thursday during his last live broadcast.
“This nearly decade-long stretch of hosting a cable news program has been a tremendous honor, and I’m so very thankful for the opportunity to really have had a front-row seat to so much history. Tumultuous campaigns, elections, natural disasters, far too many mass shootings and of course a global pandemic,” Melvin, 42, said according to Mediaite.
So many of the stories I’ve covered here, and the people I’ve met on assignments, have moved me in myriad of ways. Some days sad, angry, confused, but always hopeful,” he continued, according to The Hill.
“I’ve tried to cover the news fairly and steer clear of inserting my opinion or perspective. We’ve tried to traffic in facts and truth and let you make up your mind every day, and I’m very proud of that. We’ve gone out of our way to highlight not merely the death, doom, or destruction. We tried to introduce you to ordinary people doing the extraordinary,” the veteran reporter said.
“And thank you for letting me into your homes, your businesses, and your vehicles for an hour every day,” Melvin said while concluding his broadcast. “I appreciate you seeing the value in journalism, showcasing the plight of the least among us, simply asking questions and waiting for answers. We need it now, perhaps more than we ever have. Thank you.”
— MSNBC (@MSNBC) March 31, 2022
Melvin’s plan to move away from cable and focus on his Today and Dateline NBC shows was confirmed earlier this month.