Whoopi Goldberg thinks Will Smith’s career will recover after he slapped Chris Rock at the 94th Annual Academy Awards last month. However, Variety reported that during Monday’s episode of The View, Goldberg responded to the news and assured viewers that the 53-year-old’s career would return to normal.
“Some of Will Smith’s future projects are in question,” Goldberg said. “The question is, does he have a path back? Yes, of course he does! He will be fine. He will be back. No worries.”
CAN WILL SMITH’S CAREER RECOVER FROM SLAP? After the actor resigned from the academy and some of his future projects are reportedly in question following the #Oscars incident, #TheView co-hosts discuss his path forward. https://t.co/65KouKy9Jl pic.twitter.com/VQeIiud1JZ
— The View (@TheView) April 4, 2022
Since then, Netflix announced that Smith’s upcoming film Fast and Loose was moved to the streaming platform’s backburner following the televised incident.
The View’s co-host, Ana Navarro, said she disagreed with the streamer’s decision to put the project on hold.
“He’s had over 30 years of a career, where he’s had a very positive image, been a positive role model, he’s been very philanthropic, he’s done all sorts of things,” Navarro said. “None of us should be judged by our worst moment. We should be judged by our entire career. And yes, this is going to be with him for the rest of his life. It’s going to be in his obituary. This is not going away. But should it define his life? Should it define his career? No, absolutely not. So I think Netflix and all those are making a mistake, and I hope they reconsider because we should be able to separate his art from what he did.”
Last week, Smith announced that he resigned from his membership with the Academy.
“The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home,” the statement said. “I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken,” Smith wrote in the resignation letter.
Academy President David Rubin said Smith’s resignation had been accepted. Additionally, he still faces “suspension, expulsion or other sanctions” from the Academy, which denounced his actions at the Oscars. The next Academy board meeting is on April 18, Sis2Sis reported.